Grilled Acorn Squash w/ Sausage Stuffing
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, you know you’re going to have some stuffing leftover. Try using them in these grilled acorn squash to mix it up!
Here’s how @blackdog_bbq made them:
• 1 acorn squash
• Olive oil as needed
• 1 lbs. turkey sausage
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 C celery, sliced
• 3 C dry stuffing mix
• 2 C chicken broth
• ¼ C pecans
• ¼ C cranberries
• Salt & pepper to taste
For the Sausage Stuffing:
1. Set burners on grill to medium-high setting and add cast iron skillet. Once the skillet is hot, add olive oil. Next, add in the onions and sauté until tender. After that, add the sausage and cook until browned throughout, making sure to break it up into bits with a spatula while cooking. Finally, add the celery and saute for 2-3 minutes until tender.
2. Pour in the stuffing mix, broth, pecans, and cranberries. Mix until well combined and season with salt to taste. Once the sausage stuffing reaches the desired consistency, remove the skillet from the grill and set aside.
For the Acorn Squash:
1. While the stuffing is cooking, Slice the acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and any loose strings with a spoon. Slather the cut sides with olive oil.
2. Once the sausage stuffing has been removed, and the acorn squash cut-side down and allow them to cook for 3-5 minutes or until a nice sear has developed. Once that occurs, flip over the acorn squash and shut off the far-right burner. Move the acorn squash to the zone where the burner was just turned off for indirect cooking. Cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
1. Remove the acorn squash from the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes before adding the sausage stuffing. Serve & enjoy!